keskiviikko 13. tammikuuta 2016

The Doe

It was one of those nights again. One of those nights when I'd lay on my bed and think about my life. I had been looking at the ceiling of my bedroom for hours already. I had been tossing and turning the whole night. And yet I couldn't sleep.
  I sighed. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on my breathing. Lyrics of different songs were playing in my head. I tried to shush them down but they kept coming back to me. I opened my eyes, frustrated that I was unable to sleep once again. I got up and walked to my writing desk. I looked out of the window above the desk. It was a beautiful night; I could see the moon and the stars on the clear sky. The darkness outside looked so peaceful. On that moment I decided I needed some fresh air.
  I walked down the stairs and took my shoes from the lobby. Carefully I opened the front door. I didn't want to wake up my parents. They would have been devistated if they knew I'd sneak out again. As I stepped outside cold, crispy air met my cheeks and made me feel awake. I took a deep breath and closed the door behind me. I was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts. The cold wintery air made me shiver. But yet I wanted to take just a little walk.
  I headed towards a small forest on our backyard. I regrat not taking a jacket. The trees were covered in snow. It was quiet. I couldn't hear wind on the trees. I looked up on the sky like I could find an answer to the silence there. I was freezing in the forest. I didn't want to go back because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.
  I walked to a small frozen lake not far away form our house. It was so beautiful. A thin layer of snow on top of icy lake made it look tempting. I wanted to slide on it but I was too cold to move at all. I just stood there looking at the wintery forest.
  Suddenly a doe appeared from behind the trees. It walked on the other side of the lake. It was thin, fradgile looking even. The doe looked right at me. It walked towards me, on the icy lake. I held my breath; I didn't want to scare it away. As the doe came forward I took one small step. I kept my eyes on it and took another step. The doe stopped. I raised my hands to show that I wasn't going to hurt it.
”It's okay” I whispered. The doe looked at me and I could see the doubt in its eyes. I took another step. The doe didn't move. Slowly and carefully I walked to the doe. I was only a few feet away from it when it took a step back.
”It's okay, shh” I whispered to the doe. It kept its eyes on me when I took a few more steps. I was now right in front of it. ”See, I'm not hurting you” I said. I raised my hand to touch its muzzle. The doe didn't clinch away so I pet it for a while.
  When I was so cold I couldn't feel my hands anymore I thought it would be better to go home. I said goodbye to the doe and walked home. I slept well for weeks after that night.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti